Hemophilia is a blood disorder that’s usually genetically inherited from parents. People born with hemophilia have little or no clotting factor – a protein needed for normal blood clotting. Hemophilia can also be acquired, meaning patients don’t inherit the disease from their parents but instead develop it during their lifetime. This can happen if their body forms antibodies that attack the clotting factors in the blood.
Although patients had been previously warned against physical exercises, there are in fact numerous benefits of physical exercise for hemophilia sufferers, according to hog.org.
- Exercise creates strong muscles around the joints, reducing the risk of bleeding.
- Regular exercises improves balance and flexibility, reducing the risk of accidents.
- By exercising regularly, joint stiffness is reduced which means the likelihood of bleeding after an accident is reduced.
- The higher the level of fitness, the quicker a patient recovers after a bleed or surgery.
- Regular exercises increases energy levels and reduces fatigue.
- Exercise increases self-esteem and confidence, and can be an enjoyable activity for both children and adults.
- Exercise reduces stress.
- Weight-bearing exercises increase bone density, promoting healthy bone maintenance.
- Certain studies show that regular exercise increases the effect of hemophilia treatments and reduces bleeding episodes.
- Regular exercise can also provide a peer group for social interaction and help promote social interaction.
Hemophilia News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?