Hemophilia News Today Forums Forums Using Our Forums Haemophilic arthropathy

• Haemophilic arthropathy

Posted by Milos on July 29, 2021 at 4:29 am

<div class=”_2FCtq-QzlfuN-SwVMUZMM3 _2v9pwVh0VUYrmhoMv1tHPm t3_orsp9r”>
    <div class=”y8HYJ-y_lTUHkQIc1mdCq _2INHSNB8V5eaWp4P0rY_mE”>
    <div class=”_2SdHzo12ISmrC8H86TgSCp _29WrubtjAcKqzJSPdQqQ4h “>
    <div class=”_3xX726aBn29LDbsDtzr_6E _1Ap4F5maDtT1E1YuCiaO0r D3IL3FD0RFy_mkKLPwL4″ data-click-id=”text”>
    <div class=”_292iotee39Lmt0MkQZ2hPV RichTextJSON-root”>
    <p class=”_1qeIAgB0cPwnLhDF9XSiJM”>Hi,
    I am 62 years old. I suffer from severe hemophilia A. On FVIII therapy, “on demand” 4000 units per month. Eight joints are affected. Going to the store causes bleeding in one of my elbows. That’s the reason I’m writing. I became a writer. I kept physical activity to a minimum. I recently published an autobiographical novel dedicated to people with hemophilia.</p>
    <p class=”_1qeIAgB0cPwnLhDF9XSiJM”>https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1095844</p>

</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”_3xX726aBn29LDbsDtzr_6E _1Ap4F5maDtT1E1YuCiaO0r D3IL3FD0RFy_mkKLPwL4″ data-click-id=”text”>
    <div class=”_292iotee39Lmt0MkQZ2hPV RichTextJSON-root”>
    <p class=”_1qeIAgB0cPwnLhDF9XSiJM”></p>

</div>
    </div>

Shellye Horowitz replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Shellye Horowitz

July 29, 2021 at 4:30 am

Thank you for sharing the link to your book. What aspects of the hemophilia struggle are shared in your book?

• Milos

July 29, 2021 at 4:57 am

<span class=”VIiyi” lang=”en”><span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”hr” data-phrase-index=”0″>I tried to go into the metaphysical depths of the struggle with this terrible disease.</span></span>

• Shellye Horowitz

July 30, 2021 at 4:12 pm

That is great – there are so many things that people with hemophilia struggle with. What have been some of your biggest challenges? For me, it was getting a diagnosis and treatment.

• Milos

July 31, 2021 at 12:58 am

<span class=”VIiyi” lang=”en”> <span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”sr” data-phrase-index=”4″>The biggest challenges were: where should a person with hemophilia be treated?</span> <span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”sr” data-phrase-index=”5″>In orthopedics or hematology?</span> <span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”sr” data-phrase-index=”6″>I am 62 years old.</span> <span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”sr” data-phrase-index=”7″>During my childhood in the communist circumstances in Serbia, not much importance was attached to rare diseases, so many of us were treated incorrectly.</span></span>

• Shellye Horowitz

August 1, 2021 at 2:34 am

That must have been so hard – to not have access to treatment that you needed.

• Milos

August 1, 2021 at 8:18 am

It makes me think a lot.

• Milos

July 31, 2021 at 1:15 am

<span class=”VIiyi” lang=”en”><span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”sr” data-phrase-index=”0″>They most often sent me to orthopedics.</span> <span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”sr” data-phrase-index=”1″>There I was treated with long-term plaster immobilizations.</span> <span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”sr” data-phrase-index=”2″>This caused atrophy of my extremities.</span> <span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”sr” data-phrase-index=”3″>More than that than the disease itself.</span></span>

• Shellye Horowitz

August 1, 2021 at 2:35 am

Oh my – yes, when one needs factor, immobilization is not that helpful – better to have factor. I had an experience once where I had an ankle injury for a year and they had me in casts too – it only healed when 9 months after injury I finally got factor…

• Milos

August 1, 2021 at 8:22 am

I see that we are all victims of improper treatment. More or less. It all depends on social factors and the circumstances in which we lived.

• Shellye Horowitz

August 1, 2021 at 12:55 pm

Very true – so many “victims” of hemophilia – those who got HIV and Hepatitis, like my dad; women who they thought could not have it, and many in countries that lack access to diagnosis and treatment. It is not an easy disease for sure. Do you have access to prophylactic treatment for bleed prevention where you live?

• Milos

August 2, 2021 at 4:33 am

I was infected with Hepatitis C but received antiviral therapy. Now they consider me cured, because PCR is negative. I was on prophylaxis for a while, but now I am on “on demand” therapy. Doctor’s decision. The doctor said that there was no point in me being on prophylaxis because I was older, and besides, my joints were very damaged. I asked him to give me Hemlibru or rFVIII. Not to me. He says such are our laws. If that’s the case in other parts of the world, we’d better never be born.

• Shellye Horowitz

August 3, 2021 at 12:56 am

That must be hard – I cannot imagine having prophylactic care and then losing it. I am very active, so without it I get bleeds a lot… or would have to sit at home and do nothing. You are correct, in some countries it must be so difficult – some people cannot get factor at all.

• Milos

July 31, 2021 at 2:04 am

Other challenges are related to schooling. I lost a lot from teaching. That needed to be made up for.

• Shellye Horowitz

August 1, 2021 at 2:36 am

I am sure that was hard too – it is not easy to miss school due to injuries/ bleeds.

• Milos

August 1, 2021 at 8:12 am

Yes.