Hemophilia News Today Forums Forums Hemophilia Treatment Prophylaxis Adherence (AKA, “I’m too tired to infuse, I’ll do it tomorrow”)

• Prophylaxis Adherence (AKA, “I’m too tired to infuse, I’ll do it tomorrow”)

Posted by Shellye Horowitz on November 5, 2020 at 7:00 am

Have you ever been in this position? You know you *should do your prophylactic infusion, but you are so exhausted that you just do NOT want to poke yourself. Maybe when you are tired you struggle to find a vein and it is a nightmare. What helps you stick to your infusion schedule?

Shellye Horowitz replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Carrie Barnes Recker

November 6, 2020 at 11:56 am

I know this is stupid, but sometimes I have put off treating when I am busy with the kids, or too tired to do it. I am not allowed to be on prophylaxis, so I treat on demand. I have target joints, and I would be mad if one of my kids put off treating, but I do it anyway. My 7 year old scolds me! She helps me infuse, so I try to be a good example.

• Shellye Horowitz

November 8, 2020 at 5:04 pm

I totally get putting off treating when you are too busy, but do take care of you!!! I love that your 7 year old lets you have it if you do not treat like you should!

This past week was crazy at work and on Thursday morning my target joints were hurting for the first time in over a month…. I couldn’t figure out why and then I realized I had totally missed a prophylaxis dose. It DOES make a difference for sure and my joints were mad at me!